Mt. Olive Lutheran Church was conceived in January, 1952, when a small group of people contacted the pastor of Christ Lutheran Church, New Castle, with the goal of establishing a church affiliated with the Missouri Synod. In June of that year a seminary student was assigned to begin work in this area. A number of workers were assigned until 1956 when Mt. Olive received its first full time pastor. Later that year, the fledgling church, with the aid of a loan from the Eastern District Extension Board, purchased our present site, on Darlington Road, in Chippewa Township, which also included a small white house, which was remodeled for services.
It is at this point that the Church was officially named “Mt. Olive Lutheran Church.” Up to this point, it was simply referred to as the “Church of the Lutheran Hour,” a reference to the popular radio ministry. The present worship facility was begun in 1960 and dedicated in 1962. The old original “white building” was remodeled and extended for Sunday School and dining. Our present facility includes a large 10,000 square foot addition, begun in 1987 and dedicated in 1990. This includes classroom space for Sunday School; Preschool; Mothers of Pre-Schoolers programs; fellowship hall; kitchen; and office area.
By the early 2000’s, Mt. Olive’s ministries had grown even more, necessitating the need for more space. The Preschool had expanded to several larger classes. MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) was adding new members and Stephen Ministry was begun. All of these new ministries caused blessed growing pains. Another addition, which meant bigger classrooms for the Preschool, more rooms for Bible Study and Ministry Meetings, a larger kitchen, and a large meeting hall, was built with the help of the Laborers for Christ.
In the years since the latest building addition, Mt. Olive added a Step 2 program to its Preschool and hosted 2 national youth events while still carrying on the older ministries, all through the grace of God..